Who We Are
Our mission is to empower educators to advocate for professional rights, and work collectively to provide the best public education for every student.
We work with licensed professionals in Durango Public Schools to improve teaching and learning conditions through collaboration, collective bargaining, and political advocacy.
Chartered in May 1960, the Durango Education Association (DEA) represents over 300 licensed educators working in Durango School District 9-R, with a negotiated Master Agreement. DEA is affiliated with the 40,000 member Colorado Education Association (CEA) and the 3.2 million member National Education Association (NEA).
The Durango Educational Support Professional Association (DESPA) represents approximately 200 classified educators working in Durango School District 9-R, and is also affiliated with CEA and NEA. DESPA was chartered in January 1987, and has its own Master Agreement.
Our Association is the largest independent professional association and labor organization in the nation. Membership is "unified"--you hold membership at the Local, State, and National levels. Your Local Associations are governed by fellow members you elect: Officers, Board of Directors, and Association Representatives. The decision-making structure is designed to ensure maximum representation, so that the voices of members are clearly heard.
CEA is divided into geographic areas called UniServ Units, composed of groups of Local Associations. DEA and DESPA belong to the San Juan Basin UniServ Unit, which employs staff to provide services and programs to members.
Who We Serve
Only public education employees may be members of our Association. Membership is in three categories:
• Active Members include:
– K-12 teachers and substitute teachers
– Education Support Professionals (classified employees)
– College and university faculty
– Building level school principals and assistant principals
• Student Members: Students attending public and private colleges and universities who are preparing to become educators
• Retired Members: Retired public education employees
Belonging to our Association is an investment in your career and your future. When you belong, you get support for your interests as an educator. When you belong, you join with more than three million fellow members to promote quality public education. You help all of us make gains for educators and for students.
As a member, you get superb benefits and services for your dues investment. Your membership benefits include representation at the local, state, and national levels; direct services for you and your family; and CEA-NEA support for your local association. NEA Member Benefits programs and the group buying power of three million members provide quality service and savings for you and your family.
– Complimentary Life Insurance at no cost
– Life, accidental death, disability, and supplemental health insurance plans
– Dental, vision, and prescription insurance plans
– Auto and Home insurance
– Long term care, income protection, hospital care, and Medicare supplemental insurance, and plus pet insurance
• Financial and Investment Services
– Personal loans and lines of credit
– Credit cards with travel and cash rewards
– Money market accounts and certificates of deposit
– Home financing and re-financing programs
– National Board Certification loans
– Smart Option Student Loans by Sallie Mae
• Travel and Discounts
– Classroom supplies and curriculum resources
– NEA Click & Save Discount Purchasing
– Car rental discounts and auto purchase programs
– Long distance, identity theft, moving and storage, and tax preparation services
– Vision and prescription savings plans
– Health and wellness programs
– Tours, cruises, and vacation packages
• Consumer Education
– Financial awareness and member education guides
– Online resources for investment and retirement planning
• Professional Growth
– The NEA Academy offers a wide array of high quality, practical, and peer-reviewed online courses for both teachers and education support professionals.
– CEA's Teaching and Learning programs allow you to earn graduate credit through Adams State, or continuing education credit.
We invite your inspiration, involvement, and investment in our Association. Together, we are making public education and CEA the best.